What kind of pet do you have?
Dog? Cat? Budgie or bearded dragon?
They’re so much a part of our lives that we can’t imagine living without them. However, the messes Spike and Fluffy often create can make it hard to live WITH them!
We get it. Pet ownership has its fair share of challenges when it comes to keeping your home clean and hygienic. Many cleaning products can be harmful to animals, causing irritation or even toxicity if ingested or inhaled. As a result, you have to be careful about which ones are used to clean your house, whether you’re using pet friendly cleaning services or doing routine housework.
Did you know that most cleaning companies still aren’t using pet safe cleaners? With only 3% of cleaning products being pet-friendly, it’s important to do our research and choose cleaning companies that prioritize the health and safety of our furry friends.
Fortunately, there are many safe and effective pet safe cleaning products available that can help keep your home spotless and your pets healthy. Let’s take a closer look at some pet friendly cleaning strategies that include DIY products, cleaning recommendations, and a relationship with an awesome company that offers pet friendly cleaning services!
Pet Friendly Cleaning is Challenging- Yet Critical!
According to a recent survey, pet owners spend an average of 832 hours per year cleaning up after their furry friends. That’s a lot of time that could be spent playing, cuddling, and bonding with our pets instead.
When you have pets, it can be hard to stay on top of household cleaning. Much as you love them, there’s no denying that they leave behind a LOT of dirt, hair, and other messes. Some of the challenges they bring include:
- Pet Hair and Dander: Cats, dogs, and even smaller animals like rabbits and guinea pigs shed hair and dander. Over time, it can accumulate on carpets, furniture, and other surfaces. This can cause allergies or respiratory problems for people who are sensitive to pet hair and dander.
- Stains and Odours: Pets can leave behind stains and odours from urine, feces, vomit, or hairballs. These stains and odours can be difficult to remove and can make your home smell unpleasant.
- Pet Behaviour: Pets can make cleaning more challenging by getting in the way or undoing your cleaning efforts. For example, your cat may walk across a freshly cleaned floor or your dog may shake off dirt and water after a bath (thanks, Rover!).
Cleaning a home with pets requires special attention and care. In some cases, you might need some help from the pros! In this case, not just any company will do. You want to find a provider that loves animals as much as you do and has the specialized products and knowledge needed to do the job.
While you look for a company that offers quality pet friendly cleaning services, here are some tips for incorporating pet safe cleaning products into your own housekeeping.
Pet Safe Cleaning Products Are Essential
Pets are more sensitive to chemicals and toxins than humans, so traditional cleaning products won’t work if you have animals. A single instance of accidental exposure can cause health problems and even death. Therefore, you don’t want to grab whatever’s on sale at Walmart or the grocery store.
Pet safe cleaning products are formulated with pet owners like you in mind. Here are the top advantages of investing in these types of cleaners.
Pet friendly cleaning products use non-toxic ingredients that won’t cause harm to pets and even children. Should they leave a residue that ends up on paws or fur, solutions used by pet friendly cleaning services are designed to be safe even if ingested in small amounts.
No Harsh Odours
Many traditional cleaning products have harsh chemical odours that can be harmful to pets and even humans with environmental sensitivities. Cleaning products designed for pets are often formulated with gentle, non-toxic fragrances.
Better Environmental Impact
Pet friendly cleaning products have a better environmental impact for several reasons:
- Biodegradable Ingredients: Many of these products are often made with biodegradable ingredients that decompose quickly in the environment. This means that they won’t contribute to the buildup of pollutants in the air, water, or soil.
- Renewable Resources: A lot of pet safe cleaning products are made from renewable resources such as plant-based ingredients. This reduces the reliance on non-renewable resources and decreases the overall environmental impact of the product.
- Reduced Energy Use: Pet friendly cleaning products are often formulated to be used with cold water, which requires less energy to heat up than hot water. This means that they have a lower carbon footprint than traditional cleaning products that require hot water.
- Reduced Packaging Waste: These days, most pet friendly cleaning products come in packaging made from recyclable materials or that can be refilled. This reduces the amount of waste that ends up in landfills or the environment.
- Reduced Chemical Pollution: Pet friendly cleaning products are often formulated with natural ingredients that are safer for the environment. (Traditional cleaning products, on the other hand, can contain harsh chemicals that can harm wildlife and pollute waterways.) This is why so many pet friendly cleaning services are ‘green’ businesses.
Overall, using pet friendly cleaning products is a simple and effective way to reduce your environmental impact while keeping your home clean and fresh. By choosing products that are safe for pets and the environment, you can make a positive difference for both.
They’re 100% Effective!
Pet friendly cleaning products are just as effective as traditional ones. The only real difference is that they are meant specifically for use in homes with pets. They remove stains and odours without leaving behind any harmful residue or chemicals. That’s it! Otherwise, they clean as well as the regular top brands, if not better.
As a Pet Owner, You Have Peace of Mind
Using pet safe cleaning products can give you peace of mind. These products are manufactured by brands that specialize in pet care. You can keep your home completely clean without worrying about your dog, cat, or even one of your children suffering from accidental poisoning. The peace of mind is immeasurable, trust us!
When you have pets, using specially formulated products is an important aspect of keeping a home clean and safe for everyone. By making the switch, you can reduce the risk of harm to your pets while maintaining a high standard of cleanliness everywhere.
Understanding Pet Safe Cleaning Products
Many pet friendly cleaning products are made with plant-based ingredients, such as essential oils and enzymes, that work to break down and remove stains and odours. Some common products include:
- Carpet cleaners
- Odour eliminators
- All-purpose cleaners
You’ll notice that a lot of these products are also labeled as “green” or “eco friendly,” indicating that they are environmentally friendly in addition to being safe for pets and humans. Let’s take a closer look at a few product categories you’ll come across.
Pet Friendly Carpet Cleaners
Pet-friendly carpet cleaners work by using cleaning ingredients and techniques that are safe for sensitive noses and skin. Cleaning typically involves a combination of hot water extraction and a pet-specific cleaning solution.
The hot water extraction method involves spraying hot water and cleaner onto the carpet and then vacuuming it up with a powerful suction system. This helps to remove dirt, stains, and odours from the carpet fibres, leaving them fresh-smelling and clean.
Pet friendly cleaning services may also use specialized tools and techniques to remove pet hair and dander from the carpet. For example, some may use a pet hair removal tool that uses static electricity to attract and remove pet hair from the carpet fibres.
Overall, pet-friendly carpet cleaners aim to provide a deep and thorough cleaning of carpets while using safe and gentle cleaning products that won’t harm pets or leave behind harsh chemical residues.
Pet Friendly Odour Eliminators
Pet friendly odour eliminators work by neutralizing or breaking down the compounds that cause unpleasant odours in the home. Some common types used by pet friendly cleaning services include:
- Enzymatic Cleaners: These cleaners contain natural enzymes that break down the compounds in pet urine, faeces, and other organic matter that cause odours. The enzymes break down these compounds into simpler, odourless substances that can be easily cleaned up.
- Activated Charcoal: Activated charcoal is a porous substance that absorbs odours and pollutants from the air. It is a natural and safe way to purify the air without using chemicals or fragrances.
- Baking Soda: Everyday baking soda is a natural deodorizer that absorbs odours from the air and carpets. It can be sprinkled on carpets, furniture, and other surfaces and left to sit for several hours before vacuuming up.
- Essential Oils: Certain essential oils, such as lavender, peppermint, and lemon, have natural deodorizing properties. However, it’s important to use them in moderation and avoid using them around pets with respiratory issues.
Overall, these pet safe cleaning products offer a safe and effective way to keep your home smelling fresh and clean without harming your pets or the environment.
Pet Friendly All-Purpose Cleaners
Pet-friendly all-purpose cleaners can be made from a variety of ingredients, including:
- Baking soda
- Essential oils
- Plant-based surfactants
These products work by breaking down and removing dirt, grime, and other household messes. You can safely apply them to a variety of surfaces, such as floors, countertops, walls, and furniture, without worrying about staining or damage. Some professional-quality cleaners used by pet friendly cleaning services may also have added ingredients that help neutralize pet odours.
Pet Friendly Pet Stain Removers
Pet stain removers eliminate stains from carpets, upholstery, and other surfaces. They use natural or non-toxic ingredients to break down and remove stains such as urine, feces, vomit, and other organic messes.
Many stain removers contain enzymes that break down the proteins in pet stains, making them easier to remove. Others may use plant-based surfactants, which are gentle yet effective cleaning agents that help lift and remove these stains. Certain brands may also contain essential oils or other natural ingredients that help to neutralize odours and leave a fresh, clean scent.
Pet Friendly Floor Cleaners
Floor cleaners are formulated to clean and disinfect floors, including hardwood, tile, and laminate. Like other pet safe cleaning products, they can contain ingredients like plant-based surfactants, vinegar, essential oils, or other natural cleaning agents.
When used on hardwood floors, these cleaners break down and remove dirt, grime, and other household messes without damaging the wood. Some products may also contain ingredients that help to protect the finish of the wood and restore its natural shine.
Pro Tip: Hardwood floors can be sensitive to moisture, so it is important to use a cleaner specifically intended for use on hardwood floors. You should also avoid using excessive amounts of water.
Cleaning Products You MUST Avoid if You Have Pets!
This blog is specifically about pet friendly cleaning services and products, which means that some products are definitely NOT safe. In fact, certain cleaners can be toxic to pets, including:
- Bleach: Bleach is a common household cleaner that can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system, as well as gastrointestinal upset if ingested.
- Ammonia: Ammonia is another common household cleaner that can cause irritation to the eyes, nose, and throat, as well as respiratory distress if inhaled.
- Pine-Sol: Pine-sol is a cleaning product that contains pine oil, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal symptoms.
- Lysol: Lysol is a disinfectant cleaner that can cause gastrointestinal upset, respiratory distress, and other symptoms.
- Pledge: Pledge is a furniture polish that can cause gastrointestinal upset, as well as respiratory distress if inhaled.
- Drain cleaners: Many drain cleaners contain harsh chemicals that can poison pets if ingested.
When purchasing cleaning products, always read the labels and avoid potentially toxic ones. If you’re unsure about the safety of a particular product, it’s best to consult with your veterinarian or a business that specializes in pet friendly cleaning services.
DIY Pet Friendly Cleaning Products
If you’d rather not use store-bought cleaners for your home, you have a lot of great DIY options. Many DIY pet safe cleaning products can be made using common household ingredients, such as baking soda, vinegar, and essential oils.
Let’s take a look at a few examples!
It only takes a few seconds to make an all-purpose cleaner that’s safe for use around pets. Your options, many of which are used by pet friendly cleaning services, include:
- Vinegar and Water Cleaner: Mix equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Add a few drops of essential oil, such as lavender or lemon, for a pleasant scent. Shake well before use.
- Baking Soda and Vinegar Cleaner: Sprinkle baking soda on a surface and spray it with vinegar. Allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes, then scrub and wipe clean with a damp cloth.
- Castile Soap and Water Cleaner: Mix 2 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of Castile soap in a spray bottle. Add a few drops of essential oil, such as tea tree or peppermint. Shake well before use.
These all-purpose cleaners can be used to clean a variety of surfaces, including floors, walls, countertops, and appliances.
Does Rover leave your carpets smelling funky? Try these DIY pet-friendly carpet deodorizers:
- Baking Soda and Essential Oil Deodorizer: Mix 1 cup of baking soda with 10-15 drops of essential oil in a bowl. Stir the mixture until the oil is evenly distributed. Sprinkle the mixture on the carpet and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Vacuum the carpet thoroughly.
- Cornstarch and Baking Soda Deodorizer: Mix 1 cup of cornstarch with 1 cup of baking soda in a bowl. Sprinkle the mixture on the carpet and let it sit for 30 minutes. Vacuum the carpet thoroughly.
- Vinegar and Essential Oil Deodorizer: Mix 1 cup of white vinegar with 10-15 drops of essential oil in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture on the carpet and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Blot the carpet with a clean cloth to absorb the excess moisture and odor.
Pro Tip: Test any cleaning solution on a small, inconspicuous area before using it on a larger surface to ensure compatibility. Pets should also be kept away from the area until the mixture has been vacuumed or dried thoroughly.
When Fluffy yacks up a hairball, it can leave a nasty stain. Fortunately, you can remove it naturally with one of these DIY stain removers.
- Baking Soda and Vinegar Stain Remover: Mix 1 cup of white vinegar with 1 cup of water in a spray bottle. Spray the stained area with the mixture. Sprinkle baking soda over the stain and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Scrub the area with a brush or cloth and then wipe with a damp cloth.
- 3% Hydrogen Peroxide and Dish Soap Stain Remover: Mix 1 tablespoon of dish soap with 2 cups of 3% hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Spray the stained area with the mixture. Allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes. Then blot the area with a clean cloth until the stain is removed.
- Cornstarch and Vinegar Stain Remover: Mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to make a paste. Apply the paste to the stained area and let it sit for a few hours. Vacuum the area to remove the dried residue.
Pro Tip: Always test a small, inconspicuous area before using any cleaning solution on a larger surface to ensure compatibility with the material. Additionally, be sure to rinse the area thoroughly with water after using any of these pet-friendly stain removers to avoid leaving any residue.
Hardwood Floor Cleaner
If you have hardwood floors, you know how quickly pets can scuff them up. Here are some recipes for DIY pet safe cleaning products that can restore their shine.
- Vinegar and Water Hardwood Floor Cleaner: Mix 1/2 cup of white vinegar with 1 gallon of warm water in a bucket. Dip a mop or cloth into the mixture and wring out the excess water.
- Tea and Vinegar Hardwood Floor Cleaner: Boil 2 cups of water and add 2 black tea bags. Let the tea steep for about 5 minutes and then remove the tea bags. Add 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the tea and mix well. Dip a mop or cloth into the mixture and wring out the excess water.
- Olive Oil and Vinegar Hardwood Floor Cleaner: Mix 1/2 cup of olive oil with 1/4 cup of white vinegar in a spray bottle. Add 10-15 drops of essential oil, such as lemon or lavender, for a pleasant scent (optional). Spray the mixture onto the hardwood floor and use a mop or cloth to clean the surface. Buff the floor with a clean cloth to remove any excess oil.
Pro Tip: Be sure to wipe up any excess liquid immediately to prevent damage to the hardwood floor.
Pet Friendly Cleaning Appliances You Should Have on Hand
Sure, having pets will make you work harder to keep your house clean, but the right tools can keep it from being too much of a chore. Here are some pet-friendly cleaning appliances that belong in your supply cupboard:
- Microfibre Cloths: Microfibre cloths are an excellent choice for cleaning pet messes, as they are highly absorbent, durable, and gentle on surfaces. They can be used to wipe up spills, clean pet hair, and remove stains. Any cleaning company offering pet friendly cleaning services has a ton of them on hand- guaranteed!
- Rubber Gloves: Rubber gloves can be used to protect your hands while cleaning up pet messes. They also provide a good grip for handling cleaning products and tools.
- Broom and Dustpan: A broom and dustpan are essential for sweeping up pet hair and debris from floors. A broom with soft bristles is ideal for hardwood and tile floors, while a stiffer bristle broom can be used on carpets.
- Vacuum Cleaner: A vacuum cleaner is a must-have tool for pet owners, especially those with furry pets. A high-quality vacuum cleaner can remove pet hair, dust, and dirt from carpets, upholstery, and floors.
- Scrub Brush: A scrub brush can be used to clean pet bowls, litter boxes, and other surfaces that require a bit of elbow grease. Choose a brush with soft bristles for delicate surfaces and a stiffer bristle brush for tougher jobs.
- Mop: A mop is a great tool for cleaning floors, especially hardwood and tile floors. Choose a mop with a microfibre or cotton head, and stick to pet safe cleaning products that won’t damage the strands.
A steam cleaner is also nice to have, although you can rent one if you don’t want to buy it. Steam cleaning is a natural and effective way to deep clean carpets without using harsh chemicals. You can rent a steam cleaner or hire a professional carpet cleaning service to do the job for you.
Pro Tip: Don’t use steam cleaners to eliminate dog or cat urine. By bonding the protein into man-made fibres, the heat permanently sets the stain and odour.
Pet Friendly Cleaning Methods for Different Areas of the Home
Need to spot-clean a certain room or area? Here are some cleaning strategies tailored to whatever part of the house needs your attention.
Cleaning the Kitchen
The kitchen is a high traffic area where pets tend to spend a lot of time- especially when they’re waiting for their next meal! This can mean food spills, scattered pet hair, and drool or paw prints everywhere. If you keep a litter box in the kitchen, your cat may track litter or waste outside of the box, creating a mess.
First, always clean up any spills or food crumbs immediately to avoid attracting pests and to prevent your pet from getting into anything they shouldn’t. Then clean your countertops, appliances, and floor with a mixture of vinegar and water. For tougher stains and grease, a baking soda paste can be used.
Cleaning the Bathroom
Vinegar and water are an effective and safe option for cleaning bathroom surfaces such as the sink, toilet, and shower. For tough stains and grout, a baking soda paste can be used. If you have a litter box in the bathroom, make sure to clean it regularly to avoid odours and bacteria buildup.
Cleaning the Living Room
The living room is a popular place for pets to relax and play. This means that at any given time, you’ll run across piles of hair, the occasional stain, and even a funky odour if you have carpets or upholstered furniture.
Furniture and carpeted floors can be cleaned with a vacuum with an upholstery attachment . Use vinegar and water or enzyme cleaners for stains and odours. For hardwood floors, use a mixture of vinegar and water to clean and disinfect without damaging the wood. If you have a pet bed or blankets in the living room, make sure to wash them regularly to avoid odours and bacteria buildup.
Cleaning the Bedroom
Pets like to sleep and snuggle with their owners in the bedroom- you probably know that already! To keep it clean, you can follow the recommendations we outlined for the living room:
- Removing pet hair and dirt from furniture and carpeted floors using a vacuum with an upholstery attachment
- A mixture of vinegar and water or enzyme cleaners for stains and odours on bedding
- A mixture of vinegar and water to clean and disinfect hardwood floors
- Washing pet beds or blankets in the bedroom
Common Pet Stains and How to Remove Them Safely
From urine to vomit to muddy paw prints, pet stains can be a hassle to deal with and may require special cleaning methods to remove. Whether you have a new puppy or a senior cat, these tips used by pet friendly cleaning services will help you keep your home looking and smelling fresh!
Urine Stains and Odours
Urine stains and odours are some of the toughest pet messes to deal with. All you have to do is walk into the room and you’ll know someone’s had an accident. Fortunately, you can deal with them without resorting to heavy-duty chemicals.
We recommend mixing the following:
- 2 cups 3% hydrogen peroxide (like you’d find in your first aid kit or grocery store)
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon dish detergent
Apply the solution to the stain and let it sit for a few minutes before blotting it up with a clean towel or paper towel. Repeat the process as needed until the stain is completely removed.
For odours, sprinkle baking soda over the affected area and let it sit for several hours before vacuuming it up. Another effective method is to use enzyme cleaners that are specifically designed to break down and remove urine stains and odours.
Pro Tip: Avoid using steam cleaners, which can set the stain and odour into the carpet fibres.
Hairball stains are a common problem for cat owners. They’re gross and annoying as heck, but they’re not too hard to remove.
One popular -and pet friendly- method is to use a mixture of water and dish soap. Apply the solution to the stain and let it sit for a few minutes before blotting it up with a clean towel or paper towel. Repeat the process as needed until the stain is completely removed.
For odours, sprinkle baking soda over the affected area and let it sit for several hours before vacuuming it up. You can also use enzyme cleaners that are specifically designed to break down and remove hairball stains and odours.
Dogs and cats sometimes vomit when they eat too quickly, too much, or something that doesn’t agree with them. Like hairballs, these stains are gross but they aren’t too difficult to remove without using chemicals.
A lot of pet owners use a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar. Apply the solution to the stain and let it sit for a few minutes before blotting it up with a clean towel or paper towel. Repeat the process as needed until the stain is completely removed.
Alternatively, you can use enzyme cleaners designed to break down and remove vomit stains and odours. Always follow the instructions on the product label and avoid using steam cleaners, which can set the stain and odour into the carpet fibres. Let the baking soda sit over the affected area for several hours before vacuuming it up to eliminate odours.
Blood stains can be a bit more tricky to remove, but there are still pet friendly methods you can use.
One of them is a mixture of cold water and salt. Mix a tablespoon of salt into two cups of cold water and apply the solution to the stain. Let it sit for a few minutes before blotting it up with a clean towel or paper towel. Repeat the process as needed until the stain is completely removed.
Another effective method is to use 3% hydrogen peroxide. Apply a small amount of 3% hydrogen peroxide to the stain and let it sit for a few minutes before blotting it up with a clean towel or paper towel. Repeat the process as needed until the stain is completely removed. Pro Tip: Always use cold water when cleaning blood stains, as hot water can set the stain into the fabric.
Short on Time? Hire a Company That Offers Pet Friendly Cleaning Services!
Sometimes keeping your home clean is more than you can do alone, especially if you work long hours and have more than one pet. Hiring a pet friendly cleaning company can be a great solution to this problem.
Cleaning companies that offer pet friendly cleaning services use products and methods that are safe for pets while still effectively cleaning your home. So how do you go about hiring a pet friendly cleaning company? What should you look for when choosing one? Finally, how should you prepare for their visit?
Benefits of Hiring a Pet Friendly Cleaning Company
Hiring a cleaning company can be a smart investment for busy pet owners who want to enjoy a clean and healthy living environment without sacrificing their time and energy. Here are some other benefits of hiring pet friendly cleaning services for your home.
Use of Safe and Non-toxic Cleaning Products
Pet friendly cleaning companies use eco-friendly and natural cleaning products that are plant-based, biodegradable, and non-toxic. These products are gentle yet effective in removing dirt, grime, and pet-related stains and odours. They also help reduce the amount of airborne allergens and irritants that could be harmful to pets.
By using safe and non-toxic cleaning products, pet friendly cleaning companies prioritize the health and safety of your pets while still providing a clean home for you and your family. You know you won’t come home to a situation that involves an emergency vet visit.
Knowledge of Pet-Related Cleaning Issues
Pet friendly cleaning companies are familiar with the challenges that come with living with pets. They know that pets can:
- Shed fur, leave urine stains, and create unpleasant smells
- Be sensitive to certain cleaning products and chemicals, which is why they use non-toxic cleaning products
By understanding pet-related cleaning issues, they can meet the unique needs of pet owners while still providing you with a clean and healthy home.
Expertise in Handling Pet-Related Stains and Messes
Cleaners with these companies have the expertise and knowledge to effectively clean pet-related messes like hairballs, vomit, and feces. They understand that pet stains and messes require specialized cleaning methods to effectively remove them without damaging carpets, upholstery, or other surfaces.
Pet friendly cleaning services have access to specialized cleaning products and equipment that are designed to effectively remove pet-related stains and odours, such as enzymatic cleaners that break down organic matter. By being experts in handling pet-related stains and messes, pet friendly cleaning companies can help pet owners maintain a clean and fresh home.
HUGE Love of Pets!
Pet-friendly cleaning companies hire employees who are pet lovers and are sensitive to the needs of animals. In fact, most pet-friendly cleaning companies have specific training programs to educate their employees on how to handle pets, clean up after them, and avoid causing any stress or harm to animals during the cleaning process.
If you want to ensure that your pets are safe and comfortable during the cleaning process, it’s important to choose a pet-friendly cleaning company that is reputable, reliable, and committed to providing high services.
The question is- how do you find one?
How to Choose a Pet Friendly Cleaning Company
Did you know that around 7 out of 10 households have a pet? It’s clear that we share a love for our furry friends with many others!
Not all cleaning companies are created equal when it comes to pet-friendliness, which is why it’s important to choose a company that understands the needs of pets and their owners. Here are some tips and guidance on how to find the best pet friendly cleaning company for your home.
Ask for Referrals
Referrals can be a reliable source of information because they come from people you trust. Reach out to friends, family, neighbors, or colleagues who have pets and have used pet friendly cleaning services in the past. Ask them if they were satisfied with the services they received and if they would recommend the cleaning company.
Ask Your Veterinarian
Veterinarians can recommend pet friendly cleaning services to pet owners. They are knowledgeable about the potential hazards of traditional cleaning products and understand the importance of using gentler cleaning methods and products.
Your vet may have recommendations based on their experience or may refer you to pet friendly cleaning companies that they trust. It is always a good idea to consult with a veterinarian for any pet-related concerns, including finding a pet friendly cleaning service.
Check Online Reviews
Look for online reviews of pet friendly cleaning companies in your area on websites like Yelp or Google. These reviews can give you an idea of the quality of service provided by the company and whether or not they are accommodating to pets.
Check Company Websites
Visit the websites of pet friendly cleaning companies and read about their services, policies, and products. Look for information on:
- Whether they use pet friendly cleaning products and if they have experience handling pet-related stains and messes.
- Their policies regarding pets, such as whether they require pets to be crated or supervised during the cleaning process and whether they offer additional services such as pet waste removal or litter box cleaning.
Check Social Media
Many pet friendly cleaning services are on social media platforms such as Facebook or Instagram. Check their social media pages to see if they have any content related to their pet-friendly policies or services, and to get a sense of their overall vibe and reputation.
Call and Ask Questions
Contact the cleaning companies and ask specific questions about their pet friendly policies, cleaning products, and procedures. This can help you get a better understanding of how they cater to pet owners.
Here are some questions you may consider asking a pet friendly cleaning company:
- What kind of cleaning products do you use?
- Do you have experience in handling pet-related stains and odours?
- What are your cleaning procedures for homes with pets?
- What is your policy on pet accidents or damage during cleaning?
- Can you provide references from other pet owners who have used your services?
Preparing for Pet Friendly Cleaning Services
It’s important to remember that animal allergies are quite common and affect a significant portion of the population, around 10 to 20%. While we love our pets, it’s crucial to be mindful of others who may suffer from allergies and take steps to minimize allergens in our homes.
But, just as we want our guests to be able to relax, we also want to ensure our pets are comfortable by preparing for a cleaning company’s arrival. Here are some tips that can get you started. (Note: some companies will email you ahead of time with any information you need prior to the team’s arrival.)
Secure Your Pets
If your pets need to be secured during the team’s visit, here are some options.
- Put Your Pets in a Separate Room: This is the easiest way to keep your pets away from the cleaning professionals. Make sure to provide them with food, water, and toys to keep them occupied while they are in the room.
- Use a Baby Gate or Pet Barrier: If you do not have a separate room, you can use a baby gate or pet barrier to keep them in a designated area. This will keep them out of the way while the cleaning professionals work.
- Use a Crate or Carrier: If you have a small pet, such as a cat or a small dog, you can use a crate or carrier to keep them in while the cleaning professionals work.
- Take Your Pets for a Walk: If possible, take your pets for a walk or to the park while the cleaning professionals work. This will keep them out of the way and give them some exercise at the same time.
Before the cleaning company arrives, make sure to tidy up your home. This means removing any clutter, picking up toys or other items from the floor, and clearing off countertops and tables. This will make it easier for the cleaning professionals to get to the areas that must be addressed.
Communicate Any Special Instructions
If your pet has any specific needs or requirements, such as a favourite spot where they like to sleep, be sure to communicate this to the cleaning company. This will help them to tailor their cleaning process to your pet’s needs.
Identify Problem Areas
If there are any areas of the house that require special attention due to pet stains or messes, be sure to point these out. Be specific about what needs to be cleaned up. Is it a urine stain, a hairball, or a vomit stain? Where is it located? Providing this information will help the cleaning company locate the mess and determine the best approach to cleaning it.
Getting a New Pet? Pet Friendly Cleaning Services Can Help With That Too!
Getting a new pet? Give them the best homecoming ever! A pet friendly cleaning service can help ensure that your home is clean, safe, and welcoming for the new arrival! Here’s how.
- Deep Cleaning: A deep cleaning service can help eliminate any lingering odours, stains, or bacteria that may be present in your home. This is especially important if you are adopting a rescue pet or have had pets in the past, as there may be traces of dander, urine, or faeces that can be harmful or distressing to your new friend.
- Pet-Proofing: A pet-friendly cleaning service can help identify potential hazards in your home and recommend ways to pet-proof your space. This may include securing loose wires, covering electrical outlets, and storing hazardous chemicals or medications out of reach.
- Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning: Carpets, rugs, and upholstery can harbor pet odours and stains, even if they appear clean on the surface. A professional cleaning service can help remove these problems, making your home a more pleasant environment for your new pet.
- Dehumidifying: High humidity levels can encourage the growth of mould and mildew, which can be harmful to your pet’s health. A cleaning service can help reduce humidity levels in your home, keeping your pet safe and comfortable.
By using pet friendly cleaning services to get your home ready, you can help ensure that your new pet remains safe, healthy, and happy.
FAQs about pet-friendly cleaning services
Q: How Often Should I Hire a Pet Friendly Cleaning Service?
Several factors determine how often you should hire pet-friendly cleaning services, such as the:
- How many pets you have and what type
- Their size and habits
- The size of your home
- Your cleaning needs
For routine cleaning, it is recommended that you hire a cleaning service once a month. However, if you have multiple pets or animals that shed a lot, you may need to hire a cleaning service more frequently. Additionally, if you or anyone in your household has allergies or sensitivities to pet hair or dander, you may need to hire a cleaning service more often to ensure that your home is kept clean and free of allergens.
Ultimately, the frequency of hiring a pet friendly cleaning service depends on your individual circumstances. Assess your cleaning needs and budget to determine how often you should hire a cleaning service to keep your home clean and safe for your family and pets.
Q: Are Pet Friendly Cleaning Services More Expensive Than Traditional Cleaning Services?
Not always. Pet friendly cleaning services MAY be slightly more expensive than traditional ones due to the additional equipment, products, and expertise required to properly clean and remove pet-related messes. However, the cost difference may vary depending on the specific cleaning company and the level of service that you require.
That being said, it is important to keep in mind that the cost of cleaning services should not be the only factor in your decision to hire a cleaning company. Pet friendly cleaning services offer many benefits, such as:
- The use of non-toxic and safe cleaning products
- Specialized expertise in handling pet-related cleaning issues
- A better understanding of how to work around pets during the cleaning process
These benefits can ultimately outweigh any potential cost difference.
Before hiring a pet friendly cleaning service, it is important to research and compare different companies to find one that fits your budget and cleaning needs. Be sure to ask about their pricing and services, as well as any additional fees that may apply. By doing your research and choosing a reputable and experienced pet friendly cleaning service, you can ensure that your home is properly cleaned and safe for everyone who lives there- pets included.
Q: Are Pet Friendly Cleaning Products Less Effective Than Traditional Cleaning Products?
No! In fact, many pet friendly cleaning products are just as effective, if not more, than traditional cleaning products. However, not all products are created equal, so you’ll want to read the labels to ensure that they are appropriate for the task at hand.
Ultimately, the effectiveness of pet safe cleaning products depends on the specific product and the cleaning task at hand. It is important to choose the right solution for the job and to use it properly to ensure the best results. If you have concerns in this regard, be sure to raise them with the company providing your pet friendly cleaning services.
Q. Do I Need Specialized Cleaning Services If I Have Exotic Animals?
If you have exotic animals like birds or reptiles, it’s important to look for a company that has experience working with a variety of different types of pets. These pets require specialized care and attention, and a service that is familiar with their unique needs will be better equipped to provide a safe and effective cleaning.
When you reach out to the different service providers, ask if they have experience cleaning homes with exotic pets. A company with experience working with a variety of exotic pets will be better equipped to provide the specialized care and attention your pets need.
Q. I’ve Heard That Cleaning Services Can Be Dangerous for Birds. Is That True?
Yes, it can be dangerous to use certain cleaning products around pet birds, as birds are highly sensitive to chemicals and toxins. Some products contain ingredients that can be harmful or toxic to birds, and even small amounts of exposure can cause serious health problems.
Birds have delicate respiratory systems and can easily inhale airborne toxins, leading to respiratory problems, neurological issues, and even death. Additionally, birds can absorb toxins through their skin, so contact with certain cleaning products can also be harmful.
To protect your pet birds, look for a company that uses pet safe cleaning products. Those known to be dangerous include:
- Products that emit strong fumes
- Deodorizers (carpet, fabric and plug-ins)
- Window cleaners containing ammonia
- Solvents and spot removers
- Furniture polish
- Quaternary ammoniums
It is important to be cautious when using cleaning products around pet birds and to choose pet-safe cleaning products or natural alternatives to protect their health and well-being.
Pet Friendly Cleaning Services: a Pet Owner’s Best Friend!
As a pet owner, you always have a little more to clean. (They really are called ‘furkids’ for a reason!) Hair, mud tracked in from outside, and slobber marks can make an unsightly mess if they add up! If you’re super busy with work and family, we’re here to help.
At Three Little Birds, we LOVE pets and excel at cleaning up after them. You can rest assured that we’ll only use pet safe cleaning products, so your pet won’t come into contact with any harsh chemicals. Our friendly and vetted cleaning pros are committed to excellent results and our customer service is second to none!